Many established speakers struggle to take their speaking business to the next level, so we created a network of high-performing speakers who share their strategies on what makes them successful, so you can accelerate your growth and avoid many of the costly mistakes most speakers struggle with.
With the clear vision of providing a strong notwork for speakers combined with helping speakers find the training, resources and people needed to achieve success, will be the driving force in how we look to develop content and engage with guest speakers to bring value to our members.
Almost all of our guest presenters are part of NSA's Million Dollar Speakers Group. They will each share with our members exactly what they are currently doing that is working to achieve this level of success, so you will have the best tools available to improve your speaking business.
I look forward to meeting you in-person and welcoming our next meeting upcoming meeting
Dwight W. Holcomb
President, National Speakers Association, Greater Los Angeles Chapter
Triple Threat Breakouts
This format gives you three experts, delivering massive value, in a single session. Each speaker will present one clear, actionable idea in 20 minutes, leaving room for Q&A at the end. Three experts. Three ideas. One session.
We’re bringing a brand- new format to the main stage for #Influence18. It’s called Six-Figure Spotlight. During each general session, we’re going to feature four consecutive speakers each giving a two-minute tip that has brought their business at least $25k in additional revenue. That means during each general session, we’ll be providing Influence attendees with immediate tips to grow their business by six-figures!
Exclusive Pre-Conference “Deeper-Dive”
Find the right contacts and turn them into leads, turn leads into qualified prospects, and turn prospects into paid speaking clients. Join Tiffany Lauer and David Avrin, CSP, for this special three-hour, pre-conference session where they have generously agreed to share their high-touch, non-automated process!
Special Pre-Conference Foundation Session
Expand the craft you already have and learn new techniques from the Heroic Public Speaking team through a half-day series of sessions with Amy and Michael Port and the senior faculty from Heroic Public Speaking. You’ll get to the nitty gritty of how to win over (even more) audiences and event planners alike. Dive in and become an even better public speaker than you were before—one where you can stop speaking and start performing.
NSA Community Groups Day
With a focus on community, we are launching the first-ever NSA Community Groups Day at Influence, where our highly valued community groups are in charge of the programming, and are given space to meet, connect, and introduce all attendees to the many wonderful parts of NSA.
(inspired by the iconic blue pill/red pill options from the 1999 movie “The Matrix”)
Didn’t receive the #redpill? Download the digital version! Take a selfie with it and post to your social channels. Be sure to use our official hashtag #Influence18.
Whether you are interested in strengthening your network, furthering your career or maybe just in need of a few more friends, professional networking organizations can be a great option for you. In addition to providing information about your chosen field, professional organizations can enhance your personal and professional development and provide endless networking opportunities. Look around your community—there are bound to be a plethora of organizations (from small local start-ups to national chapters) for you to join. Here are the top 10 reasons for joining a professional networking organization:
1. Broaden your knowledge: Professional organizations sometimes offer courses, seminars and/or lectures to keep themselves and their members up to date on the latest industry innovations, research, and trends. Staying informed on your industry’s trends will only help you in the long run and will put you one step ahead of the competition!
2. Take charge of your career: Take advantage of career resources. Associations often have job listings online or in print available only to their members. This is a great way to find targeted job postings for your area of interest.
3. Build a better resume: Many organizations have career resources available such as tips on effective resumes or cover letter writing. Listing your association membership on your resume is impressive to current or future employers as it shows that you are dedicated to staying connected in your profession.
4. Enhance your network: We all know that networking is key for the movers and shakers of the community! Making connections is critical, and joining associations give countless opportunities to connect on a local and sometimes even global level. For most people, creating professional relationships is important, and joining a group allows you to have a sense of security and trust. From this, you are able to support and help one another in reaching your professional goals.
5. Be a Leader: Professional associations give you an opportunity to develop your skills as a leader, and this is important not only for your personal growth but for your growth in your firm.
6. Become a mentor: Giving back can be the greatest reward and benefit. Participating in forums, chat groups or discussion boards sponsored by an association is also a great way to grow your network. This allows you to use your peers as sounding boards and often make some great friends with the same interests as you.
7. Make a new friend: Once we graduate from school, we all know how hard it is to get out and meet new people and make a new friend! Use professional networking groups as an opportunity to escape the norm and meet new people that may give you a reason to come out of your shell a bit more and have fun.
8. Give back to the community: There are plenty of organizations that coordinate socially conscious initiatives to support community efforts. Whether it is a nearby animal shelter or a food drive for a local charity, there are sure to be plenty of options for you to choose for if you are looking to give back.
9. Strength in Numbers: We live in a day and age where establishing a presence in any given career field often demands working long hours in the office and bringing work home when the doors close. At the end of the day, you may have ideas for cultivating partnerships, yet not feel up to shouldering all the responsibility to organize them. In a community organization, you have access to an established support system of experienced people who are motivated to get things done. The battle is half won!
10. Stay Inspired and Stay Motivated: Learn to love what you do! You may not even know that you love something, but it’s important to be proactive about things you discover on the journey. Join a professional organization and discover something new TODAY!
As the President of our National Speaker’s Association, Greater Los Angeles Chapter, (GLAC), I’m delighted to be not only leading our exceptional board but also an impressive group of committee members and volunteers. They are all working together to make your experience and growth as a speaker the very best it can be.
Our leadership is vital in making our GLAC vibrant, rich and energetic. As a member of GLAC you will receive valuable input for developing and measuring your speaking business. Beyond that, as a National Member of NSA, you have the opportunity to tap into the vast resources that our National Organization of 3,400+ members has to offer. Founded in 1973 by Cavett Robert, NSA has the comprehensive resources, cutting-edge tools, insightful education and productive events that speakers need to develop their brands and grow their business.
Here are my goals and mission statements for this coming year for GLAC, 2018-2019:
Focus and strengthen committees through strong accountability and involvement as they pursue clearly defined goals.
Implement an on-boarding process to effectively insure new members can clearly grasp how to best secure value for their business from involvement in GLAC and, consequently, steadily grow solid membership.
Creatively Fundraise to give back to our members(for Nat’l Events) with additional professional workshops, book launches, continued flash reports and auctions.
Deepen the weekend GLAC “Meeting Experience” with location and speakers that will help members grow in business, sales and technical expertise.
Strengthen and Empower Leadership for future years of continued growth. (focusing on individual leadership strengths)
6 Continue to expand the impact of our Speaker’s Academy to be one of the top NSA
Academies in the Nation, not only with numbers of attendees, but with successful
outcomes and content.
If you want to get involved or need anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or any member of our Board. I look forward to serving you in this amazing organization NSA-GLAC!
Here is a cheat sheet that is used by the industry to hiring a professional speaker…Is this you?
Sometimes hiring and securing a professional speaker can feel like navigating a maze.
New jargon, terms, conditions and clauses can be confusing, especially if you only secure speakers once or twice a year. Dealing with a speakers bureau or agent can feel daunting. Few meeting professionals know that it is perfectly acceptable to negotiate.
Here is a cheat sheet to help you with understanding the basics of speaker fees.
Free Speaking For Exposure To The Audience
Many organizations pitch to the speaker bureau or speaker “Our audience is perfect for you as they hire many professional speakers. Most of the speakers that have spoken at our conference get spin-off business from our attendees.”
Do the professional speakers at your event really get paid spin-off business? Do you have documentation to share with the potential speaker to prove it?
Some organizations feel that because their event is a cause, the speaker would surely want to donate their time and services. The pitch in this case is emotional, trying to move the heartstrings of the potential speaker or entertainer.
One of the things I learned from hiring so many professional speakers is that they get hundreds and sometimes thousands of offers to speak for free. Imagine them sitting down at a dinner table once a month and going through hundreds of requests to speak for free. Your request is in a pile of similar requests and the majority of those requests will be denied.
It’s time for organizations to stop trying to secure free professional speakers and start budgeting for good audience experiences.
The Speaker’s Investment In Time, Knowledge And Experience
Here is a general rule of thumb when considering how many hours it takes a speaker to prepare a presentation. For new presentations: every one hour of presentation requires a minimum of eight hours of preparation. For topics presented before, one hour of presentation requires three hours of preparation. Webinars typically require double the amount of preparation as speakers will double the number of visuals they will use.
So how much should you pay speakers? How much should you budget to cover speaker fees?
1. Industry Speakers With Free Registration.
Identify the hard costs per person to attend your event. Calculate that amount per industry speaker that receives free registration and include it in your budget. Consider travel, lodging and expenses too.
2. Industry Speakers Known As Experts And Average Presenters
Industry insiders that are considered experts and have presentations that are rough around the edges receive from $250 to $1,000 per day. This is appropriate for people with solid content and average presentation skills. Some organizations offer a stipend to offset expenses including travel and lodging.
3. Industry Speakers Known As Experts And Great Presenters
These industry people are known as specialists and experts, who have strong messages, a well-known name in the community, excellent and fresh content, and fantastic presentation skills. They typically receive from $1,000 to $4,000 a day.
4. Rising Professional Speakers
These people make a living as facilitators, presenters and trainers. They have enough demand that they can charge a higher fee. They usually represent the best new and veteran professional speakers in their field. They often receive from $4,000 to $10,000 a day.
5. Specialty Professional Speakers On The Verge Of Marquee Status
These professional speakers have a specialty niche area or some type of new fame. They may have published several books. These speakers often receive from $10,000-$25,000 a day.
6. Marquee Names
These people are considered superstars. They are household names with some type of fame. They are not typically known for their speaking ability. Actually some of them have poor to average presentation skills but their celebrity status eclipses their inability to present. On the other hand, some of them are fantastic presenters. These speakers (examples include athletes, ex-presidents, Bill Gates, Anthony Robbins, Barbara Walters, etc.) receive from $25,000 to $300,000 to present.
Why should conference organizers at a minimum cover industry speaker registration fees? What do you think about conferences that require speakers to pay to present?
We are preparing another year of awesome Content, Connection, and Community for the upcoming Year of the Greater Los Angeles Chapter of the National Speakers Association. As a current Member or Candidate, you already know the value of being part of the group:
Valuable continuing education from engaging speakers, focused on the “business of speaking” to help you improve your skills and business
Interaction with your fellow members on what’s happening in their businesses
Opportunities to be further involved in the momentum of our outstanding NSA Chapter
Renewing now will continue your great learning, value and camaraderie.
You’ve got a message and a passion for sharing it. NSA GLAC has the tools, techniques and the professional connections to help you do that effectively. Whether it’s at our chapter meetings, our network of talented and successful speakers are eager to welcome you and help grow your business.
Great professional speakers come together with exceptional professional speakers in our unbeatable community. This is the best of the best in Los Angeles! See what’s ahead this year 2017-2018 Calendar.
Build your network and meet tons of other experienced speakers. Exchange knowledge and resources with people who understand the challenging, wonderful world of professional speaking. Share inspiration and stories as you continue to advance together in your speaking careers.
Become part of our exclusive members-only directory… helping market your skills and your best product, YOU!
Attend monthly meetings led by some of the best professional speakers, sharing their experiences to help you grow your professional speaking business. As a member you are introduced to the ALL ACCESS PASS, giving you access to all of our events at a discount price AND membership into an EXCLUSIVE mastermind group led by top professionals in our chapter. Register for the All Access Pass